Saturday, July 15, 2006

 

Sharpies: The Power Behind the Throne

Okay, I haven't built any model airports lately as I am working on the last issue of Bite Club Vampire Crime Unit and preparing for the Comic-con International in San Diego. I will have a booth set up in Artist's Alley where I will be doing commissioned sketches, selling my books, and just hanging out. I'll have a sweet new 32 page sketchbook available packed full of sketches and designs. Yes, actual sketches and designs, not just finished inked pieces like so many pros do these days ( c'mon guys, more raw doodles and sketches, less pin-ups and copies of private convention commissions you've done in the past. You no longer need to use these things as portfolio pieces to get work. We all know how good you are, that's why we are buying your "sketch" books at $20 a pop, so let's see some actual sketches). Mine will be $15 each and I'll do a sketch in it for you. So there. If you see me with my arm in a sling, no worries, I'm still doing commissions and stuff. I still have my six broken ribs and shattered clavicle, so please, don't run up and slap me on the back or suddenly hug me (and I know you want to).

And I defy anyone to go into a store and try to buy a single, simple red felt tip pen or even a 2-pack, that ISN'T a Sharpie (and when I say "store", I mean store less than 10 years old, not some dusty mom and pop stationary shop that still has the Big Chief notebooks with the hippy on it). I love Sharpies, but Jesus Christ, when did this shadow government Illuminati clandestine Sharpie monopoly happen? That's all you can find anymore. Oh, I did find red Flair pens at Office Depot, but you gotta buy a box of 20 of 'em. Fuck. Now they got these half size Sharpies that come on keychains in assorted colors. Wow. A marker as a fashion accessory. Sharpie's trying to be the Mac of the marker world (except for the monopoly part). I just want a single red felt tip pen that's not a Sharpie.

Would someone please get Lance Armstrong out of my face for five minutes, for fuck's sake? I mean good for him, biker guy testicular cancer survivor, but he's worse than Coldplay all over my shit. And hey, let's all just admit that Coldplay is nothing but music for people too damn lazy to listen to Radiohead. Simple as that.

I saw part of American Graffiti again the other night and I realized that it takes place in 1962 (I always thought it took place in the mid 50's). The movie came out in 1973 and, at the time, it was well received because it harkened back to the youth culture of a more innocent age (pre-Viet Nam war), but it was only going back 11 years. That would be like a movie being released now that takes place in 1995. It seems like it would be silly to evoke memories we have of Friends being the number one TV show and getting all nostalgic over Hootie and the Blowfish. Weird. I'm getting old.

Comments:
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
 
DearGodAlmighty! What is it with your blog and fucking spambots. I want to find them beat them with cricket bats. And it's not even my blog.
Whew! See ya in a week!
 
Hey DUDE!

Sorry to hear about the unfortunate biking accident. That must really suck.

I just wanted to say thanks again for drawing that really cool Batman picture in my sketchbook when you came to Albq last year. It is proudly displayed on my wall with other Batman artwork.

I've been working hard to improve my artwork. Maybe one day, I can get my foot in the biz. The door is looking much closer than it has ever been.

Anyway, take care of yourself. Hope you come back to Albq soon.

Dave
www.artassassin.com
 
Too damn lazy to listen to Radiohead!
 
Is that another spambot? what have you done to deserve this David? Good seein' ya face to face at SD.
 
gauze with veil best collocation is wipe pectoral type style marriage gauze traditional wedding dress Do not use large gorgeous necklace with a traditional wedding dress very complex and delicate neckline wedding, the rhythm vintage wedding dress
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?